Monday, August 26, 2013

Obscure Australia - 8/26/13















Australia is a country, continent, island, and vastly underrated producer of vastly underrated post punk music.  It's possible that Australia may be technically too large to be considered an island but the rest of what I said still applies.  And tonight's show focused on the post punk music aspect of that statement.

In fact, to better illustrate my point, I didn't play bands like the Church, the Birthday Party, the Go-Betweens, Icehouse, INXS, or Midnight Oil.  I didn't even play the Hoodoo fucking Gurus for God's sake!

Instead, I focused purely on the lesser known punk, post punk, and new wave bands to come from Australia and avoided all the ones most of us know about over here.  Have I lost my mind?  Absolutely not!  While it's always nice to hear from some of those folks I mentioned above, you will hardly miss them while listening to the likes of Whirlywirld, The Boys Next Door, the Ears, the Riptides, The Scientists, Jimmy and the Boys, Models, the Fabulous Marquises, and so many more! 

And what kind of place is there where punk evolved independently, at the exact same time or even before some of the much more high profile scenes in New York, London, and Los Angeles?  It’s almost like an alternate universe down there.  A Down Underverse.  This is what I explored on tonight's episode.  Normally, you'd need about 18 of the fastest ships and a Stargate to go to Australia but now you can just click on my link below and be there in minutes.  And feel free to bring along all the flora and fauna you like.

Obscure Australia - 8/26/13





No comments: